The importance of changing the oil filter is known to every driver who maintains the vehicle and seeks to keep the engine in good condition. Each oil change accompanies the process of changing the oil filter and other consumables. Saving on oil filters is impossible and senseless (the price of this part less than 10$), otherwise, metal chips (formed due to engine production), dirt, and other debris will get into the engine along with oil, which can lead to failure of expensive parts.
The process of replacing the oil filter is quite simple. The driver is required to remove the old filter. However, there are situations when the oil filter is not unscrewed. What will happen in such cases will be considered in this article.
Buy New Oil Filter
- Castrol motor oil
- Strong steel base
- High lubricity gasket
- Proven protection 15,000 miles
- Semi-synthetic oil engineered
- Sure Grip anti-slip texture
- Diverse Range Of Award-Winning
- Equipped State-Of-The-Art Technology
- Constantly Modernizing
Why oil filter won’t unscrew
To open the old oil filter, you need to put the car in a hole or lift it with a jackscrew. If the old oil filter does not unscrew, this happens for the following reasons:
- The filter is not oiled before screwing
- The filter was tightly twisted
The Oil Filter Removal Direction
What to Do If You Can’t Remove Oil Filter
If the oil filter cannot be unscrewed by hand here is the time you can offer to try to make it a person who has more strength. In extreme cases, frankly, even a strongly “stuck” oil filter is possible without any extra tweaks. You can use one of the methods described below if your oil filter stuck:
Special removal tools for oil filters
In stores with car accessories (like Halfords, Autozone, Wallmart, eBay, or Amazon), you can find a special key designed to unscrew the oil filters. Such a key is enough to hook on the element, then start the rotation. Open with an oil filter, but not all drivers have such a key, and you must first buy it:
- Oil filter wrench (special tool, work like pliers);
- Cup Type Oil Filter Wrench (before buying don’t forget to specify the size of filter);
- 3 Leg Oil Filter Wrench Adapter (more customizable for all sizes of filters);
- Oil Filter Adjustable Wrench with Chain (don’t need extra keys, customizable for all sizes);
- Swivel Handle Oil Filter Wrench (work almost like a wrench with chain).
If you do not want to spend extra money, try some of our supercheap DIY tools:
- Take some sandpaper in hand, wrap around the oil filter and then try unscrewing it again (this may help produce additional grip);
- Creating an additional lever with an old timing belt and key (see image below);
- Using of screwdriver and hammer is the simplest way to remove the oil filters from the engine if you are not afraid to get dirty in oil. Pierce filter body with a screwdriver and then rotate it counterclockwise using hand.
How To Unscrew And Replace A Stuck Oil Filter
Don’t forget to share the link to this article if it helps you or add your method to post comments if it wasn’t described. And if you want to know about tires, You should go here and read the deep reviews to enjoy the ride with new tires.